There was an error in this gadget

Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Tortillas Are Bread Too!

Bread is not the enemy.  No.  It is your friend.  Only, not the whole loaf.

Have I mentioned my particularly complicated relationship with food?  On a regular basis, I freak out over my food.  But lately, I've been craving simple.  Simple everything.  This includes my bread.  

Bread takes many forms.  There's quick bread... I am really good with this kind.  You can do almost anything with it.  Irish soda bread.  Biscuits.  Pumpkin bread with big beautiful southern pecans.  Pancakes.  (I make the best pancakes on planet Beth... just ask me.)  And now, tortillas.  
"Tortillas," you exclaim, astonished.  

"Why yes.  They are a kind of bread."  

I make my own now since buying for myself one of those amazing tortilla presses.  I make them perfectly round, lightly salted, and flawlessly singed on an iron skillet.  I just walk around eating them plain. I pretend I'm on a journey of sorts and I must have foods that sustain me without spoiling quickly, for the expedition is fraught with danger and much moiling and toiling.  Yet, I trek fearlessly across the desert of my den into the  hostile bogs of the kitchen and I am saved by the little tortilla in my fist, for it's sustenance is enough to nourish my inner hunger for simplicity and perfection and keep me from bingeing on Oreos.

And it's fried corn.  I mean, who doesn't love fried corn?  

I guess the purpose of writing this has been to more or less pat myself on the back for my cleverness, but if the narcissism fits, wear it.  I do make good bread.  Even if it's a tortilla. 

4 comments:

  1. Hi again

    It's always good to do things well and delight in them.

    I'm not much of a cook but I delight in other things - like writing for instance.

    All the best

    Amber

    ReplyDelete
  2. My pancakes are happenin too. We'll have to have a cake-off for the title.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Best topping for a fresh warm tortilla: honey. (roll it up to keep it from dripping. Sort of.)

    As for journey bread, when I was 10 or 11 and deeply immersed in all things Tolkien, Nilla Wafers were lembas. I ate a few to sustain me during each reading session.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My newest favorite snack is a whole wheat tortilla (homemade of course) folded over and stuffed with slices of a Fuji apple, cheddar cheese and a drizzle of honey. If I'm feeling particularly wild, a sprinkle of cinnamon. OMG.

    ReplyDelete