Saturday, March 7, 2009

Bread ~n~ Water are necessary elements to life.  It's interesting that I use a cliche about food for the title of my blog.  No, it really is.  Food and I have issues, but I do make incredible bread.  And I do love a cool glass of water.  So, I'm hoping this blog will be like that.  Plain, but necessary.  Dare I say, I hope it gives you sustenance?  Sus - ten - ance.  Yeah.  I spelled that right.  Wait.  Looked it up.  Yeah.  Right.  

I also have OCD, so things get interesting.  And I'm kind of crazy sometimes.  (My son just walked into the room and is acing all psycho to get me to laugh.  It's working.  He's kind of crazy too.)  We're a crazy family.  Such fun.  For us.  

Anyway, if you're reading this, you should put it on your bookmarks because it's important.  You could be blown away by it someday.  You just never know.  So check it frequently for the sake of your blown away-ness.   And here's my best recipe for bread.  It's awesome if you have the patience.  Peace.

Oatmeal Bread
2 package active dry yeast
1/2 cup warm water (110 degrees)
1/2 cup shortening
1/2 cup honey
2 eggs
1 cup quick cooking oats
1 tablespoon salt
6 cups bread flour
1 Tablespoon butter melted
Directions:
In a large mixing bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water; set aside.  In another bowl, stir boiling water and shortening until shortening is melted.  Add honey; cool to 110 degrees F.  Add eggs, oats, salt and shortening mixture to yeast mixture.  Add 3 cups flour; stir until smooth.  Stir in enough of the flour to form a soft dough.  Turn onto a floured surface; kneed until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes.  Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease the top.  Cover
and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.  Punch dough down.  Turn onto a lightly floured surface; divide in half.  Shape each portion into a loaf.  Place in two greased 9-in. x 5-in. x 3-in. loaf pans.  Prick tops with a fork.  Brush with butter.  cover and let rise until doubled, about 40 more minutes.  Patience, my little gobblin.  Patience!  Bake at 350 degrees for 30-35 minutes or until golden brown.  Remove from pans to cool on wire racks.

I got it off allrecipes.com.  I should give them credit.  It really is awesome.


No comments:

Post a Comment